Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

What are you playing?

Comments

• 135 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I rarely have time for PC or console gaming these days, though I'm currently downloading Marvel Heroes to see what that's all about (and because Ian's mentioned it a few times and wanted to get some of us to play it).

I recently downloaded "Hundreds" on my phone and I enjoy it as a complicated little time-waster. And, of course, Flappy Bird.
  • Yeah, Ian's been needling us for a while to get into Marvel Heroes.  :)
  • I downloaded the client last night and will give it a try tonight or this weekend. We'll see, though obviously I don't see myself having too much time for it these days...
  • I assume it's free to play, pay to win?
  • That's what I'm figuring, yeah. Not sure how the in-game payment system works but we'll see.
  • Played a little Metal Gear Solid 2 HD tonight. This is part of my second play through of the series, still enjoying the craziness.
  • Well, as much as I love gaming, I don't play as much as I'd like. However, here are the two I'm playing the most right now:

Just started playing Borderlands 2 with BakaKuma. What a fun game. It has the best "beat death" mechanic I've ever come across. It has the standard "Your partner can save you by pushing a button for a while" tool that games like Gears of War have, but it completely blows them away with its "Second Chance" option. This allows you to come back to life by killing the person that dealt you your own killing blow. You have a limited amount of time to get him (or her) in your sites and let loose. It actually makes dying fun (...there's something I never thought I'd type).

The other game I'm playing is Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition. It's essentially a "Metroidvania" style game, so if you played "Super Metroid" on the SNES or Castlevania; Sympohny of the Night, you'll be at home. It has a great Luchadore theme and actually reminds me of Grim Fandango in it's use of the afterlife as well as the character designs. It can be pretty tough, but in a fair way. What really seals the deal though is how it plays homage to the games many of us grew up with. From Super Mario, to Metroid, to Mega Man - it has great winks and nods to them all. Heck, there is even a poster with what looks like Strongbad as well! It's a great game and I can't recommend it enough
  • Do you play Borderlands via console or PC?

The other is an Xbox One game, I believe. If you can convince my wife of the utility for a new gaming system when I rarely do the kind of gaming I used to, I might be able to get it. :-)
  • We've been playing Borderlands 2 on the PS3 (I got it for free). I happen to have it on Xbox 360 too (got it as a cheap download a while back...but never played it).

Guacamelee, I believe is out for just about everything at this point - it's just a great game. Though I do happen to have it on the Xbox One as it was free this month with "Games with Gold."

As far as getting the wife to get into an xbox one....hmmm. You could try, "If I don't get an xbox one, the terrorists win. You don't want the terrorists to win, do you?" That's almost an unbeatable argument. :) In all fairness, it's worth it for "Titanfall" which, you can get on a PC now too...but it's just an amazing multiplayer FPS/Mech shooter. Tons of fun.
  • Alright, what'd you guys do?  This thread has over 3000 views...there are only four of us.
  • Obviously it is from all the GIS's for "sexy tesla"
  • So, my new PC arrived on Thursday and so far, so good.  While my goal isn't to game a lot as I've mentioned before, it occurred to me last week that there was a recent kickstarter sequel to a game I loved in middle school/high school that I'd get the chance to play now.  

Most of you won't recall this (Mick was the the only one that I think was some what familar as we'd quote the trailer to the one of the sequels occasionally - "Danger's like Jello...there is always room for more."). 

The game in the series that I played back in the 90s was "Tex Murphy in Under a Killing Moon."  The series is a comedic Film Noir series that was big in the 90s when full motion video in games was a big selling point.  At any rate there was a kickstarter fora  sequel, and I went ahead and downloaded and was instantly transported back in time.  It's a lovingly created throwback that is a lot of fun. To give you  sense of the game, here is the trailer: (it's actually really great...corny...but great)

I downloaded Borderlands 2 since it's free to try this weekend...but can't get it to load - "Steam Server is busy"...which kind of sucks.

I also downloade the free "Expendebros" which is awesome. (it's a licensd game based on the expendables and is used to sell an upcoming game called "Broforce" which has versions of characters from all kinds of action movies.  It's a 2d, multiplayer sidescroller which is just great!
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 0Vote Up0Vote Down
    Despite the fact that I dropped some serious Ching on an Alienware about 5 years ago, I don't really play anything on it these days. In fact I probably have 3 unplayed games from the steam 2012 Christmas sale. I pretty much just play things on my iPod, right now that is mostly Hearthstone. The only PC games I even have on my radar on Diabalo 3 which I believe has probably been out for 2 years and Blood Bowl 2, which comes out soon I think.
    Post edited by airdog at 2014-08-24 11:55:42
  • Hmmm....I'd be interested in Diablo 3 as well. I wonder if Steam will have a Labor Day sale this weekend.
  • As long as my laptop can play it, I'm in for anything. But it's now over four years old so I'm not sure what it'd be able to play. I'm not even sure if I've ever updated my graphics drivers, to be honest.

Everything you guys described sounds great. Pick one and I'll certainly be able to craft a character who trips on his own beard and falls asleep in the forest...
  • Ooh, they are coming out with a Blood Bowl 2? I'll have to look into that.

Another option is League of Legends; it is a Free-to-play (not pay-to-win) "MOBA" (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) that Pitz has been trying to get me into for a while. It supports teams of  5, and we could always play against AI bots so we can avoid the historically toxic online community.

One good thing is that most games released in the last 4 or 5 years will be playable on a 4 or 5 year old PC, provided it was a half-decent PC when you bought it.

So aside from picking a game, what times are people usually available? My daughter is usually asleep by 8 / 8:30, so I could play any night after that, except Wednesday night (that's my local gaming group night).
  • I would be interested in Diablo 3 as well; FYI that one won't be available on Steam, since Blizzard does their own thing *grumblegrumble*
  • Well, I picked up Borderlands 2 Game of the year edition for 9.99 on steam - the regular version was free to play this weekend.  Great game with 4 player co-op.  

Aside from that, I'm definitely down for Left 4 Dead 2 (I think we'd have a lot of fun with that), Diablo 3, and the MMO Kevin mentioned. (I loves me some conspiracy)

Aside from availability...I get up at 5 every morning, so I'm usually in bed by 9 or 9:30, but could still play for a bit then.  Weekends Are always good.  Actually, if we ever decided to pick a night that would be our "Game Playing night" and anyone who could play could hop on, I could probably tweak my schedule to allow for later play.  For example, if we said Monday or Tuesday was our "Online Game Night."
  • Oh, and for those that are on Steam - what's your ID?  I'll send out Friend requests.
  • I've been playing a ton of Mario Kart 8 with Michael. It is super fun. I plan on getting Smash Bros. Wii U when it comes out this winter. Mega Man finally makes his Smash debut! All I need now is Simon Belmont to have all my favorite series be represented!
  • UreshiiAkuma for Steam ID

I think I'll make a thread for posting online IDs
  • I'll just look at Kevin's steam friends the next year I'm on.   :P
  • Anybody ever end up playing Telltale's "The Walking Dead"? I haven't played season two yet, but season one was just pitch-perfect. On Steam, right now, you can pick up the first season for a little over $6 bucks and the 2nd season is just $9.99. The first season is a prequel to the comicbook and shows some of the main characters from the comic before they first meet up the Rick Grimes as well as showing how a certain Barn gets filled with the zombie dead (an early story point in the comics). Great game.

While this is an odd comparison, but the game most reminds me of the Mass Effect series, because you choices dictate key plot points, whether other characters help you and, in a few cases, who ends up dying. Even more so than Mass Effect, your choices dictate what happens next. ...of course, if you haven't played Mass Effect, your missing out on a special series of games too.
  • I have the series, but only played a little bit. I really like what I saw so far, and am looking forward to eventually getting to it in my backlog!
  • I figured I'd update my current rotation of games I am working on.

I just finished up "Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward" on the Vita. It is an awesome puzzle/adventure/visual novel game. It has a really well done mystery, sci-fi story that is actual sci-fi (that is, uses science as its basis and spins the fiction off from there). It also has a very unique plot, in that it ties together the multiple endings and paths to actually be part of one continuous story, with the outcome from one path affecting replays through other paths.  It is also the sequel to 999, which probably made the most creative use of the two DS screens I have seen (can't really say what it is without spoilers, though).

As for what I am actively playing most of the time:
    Zelda: Skyward Sword (finally returning to finish it up; I love it, but it got put on hold a while back due to wrist tendinitis)
    Saints Row the Third - not enough can be said for how hilarious and awesome this game is
    Borderlands 2 - need to get some more play sessions scheduled ;)
    Skyrim - I have over a 100 hours in the game. I've beat the main story, but I still have the two DLCs to go. I have mostly done with one, but haven't started the second.
    Mario Kart 8 - best Mario Kart
    European Truck Driver 2 - finally saved up to buy my first truck, now the money can start rolling in :P
    Space Hulk PC
    Assassins Creed Brotherhood
    Mario Golf 3DS
    Persona 4 Golden

Several others get played occasionally, but those are my main focus games now.

• Haven't been actually playing a ton of games...mostly picking some up via sales at Green Man Gaming and Humble Bundle, but, in between working, here's what I've been playing:

Skyrim: finally started playing.  What a game.  Really well done.
    Injustice: Gods Among Us - this is the DC Mortal Kombat game that came out last year. It's actually really, really good - fun story, great animations.  Pure fun.
    South Park: The Stick of Truth - just picked this up via the Humble Bundle Store sale.  It's absolutely hilarous. Matty Doo will appreciate my clothing choice...since he makes fun of me for it all the time. 
    :D

At any rate, we need to set up a time to play Borderlands 2.  I think it will be a blast!
  • I saw you have Spec Ops the Line in your Steam backlog. Play it. Like, now :)
  • Yeah, I picked up a bunch of stuff cheap via the Humble Bundle Sale last week and Green Man Gaming. Actually, I picked Spec Ops up because it was on sale and you had given it a nice little review, "Must play," as I recall.
  • I'll add that if at first it feels like a generic military shooter, there is a very good reason for that, and you definitely want to keep playing.
  • Man, I downloaded Castlevania: Dracula X on the Wii U. Great game, but SUPER friggin hard. Videogames were just so much tougher when we were growing up. Considering I beat most of the ones I owned....I must have wasted SO many hours lol!

The Wii U Virtual Console is offering one classic Castlevania game each week in honor of Halloween month. I plan on getting them all eventually! I love the old school Castlevanias....I wish Simon Belmont was in the new Smash Bros :(

C