Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Let's Play: Crusader Kings II

Comments

• 211 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 724Vote Up0Vote Down
    Now I could outright strip him of his title, but that is not viewed well by the rest of my court.

Instead, I will initiate a "plot" to revoke is title. Plots are the subterfuge of the game, providing ways to manipulate the world behind the scene ... arranging murders, framing, blackmailing, etc.

In order for a plot to succeed you need to recruit backers. Some characters will jump on board if they like you and dislike the target.  Other's will be persuaded through bribes.

In this case, a bunch of people hopped right on my plot to revoke his title, mainly due to the fact that he is a smelly Norwegian in desperate need of a proper hair cut.

I didn't capture any pics, but once I revoked his title, he swore he would get revenge, and then fled back to Norway. Within a year, he got sick and died ...

Post edited by BakaKuma at 2015-07-09 02:57:12
  • Now that we've dealt with internal matters, lets look to our borders.
    Here is a county to the north of us, with another would-be-king.

• And, it is not shown in the pictures, but I already have a claim on his land, giving me a Casus Belli to go to war with him.

After a brief war, I am victorious. But this turns to be my first big mistake in the game. As you may note in the victory text below, it was not my claim that gave the Casus Belli, but rather the claim of a member of my court. So, on winning, the county goes to him. Because he is not a vassal, and not part of my dynasty, he gets the county and becomes and independent kingdom, giving me no authority over him.

Oops.

Ok, let's try this again. There are no lands I have a Casus Belli to go to war with; that's no good if I want to expand to all of Ireland.
    So, I'll send my steward up to attempt the Fabricate a Claim. This "quest" has a chance to give you a claim to a county.  

Based on my current Court Intrigue score, it has a 15% chance per year of working, so on average it should take no more than 5 years.  In this case, it did go pretty quickly. 

Once I had the claim, I declared war and sent in troops.

Post edited by BakaKuma at 2015-07-09 02:58:47
  • While waiting for the war to play out, domestic life still goes on.

I had set my current ambition to raise my diplomacy.  This will cause random events to occur that have a chance of increasing the Diplomacy stat, such as this squabble that broke out between peasants:

After making a number of conversation choices, I was able to resolve their differences (and increas my Diplomacy by 2, yay!)
    Meanwhile my nephew, the genius spymaster, is bugging me to arrange a marriage for him. Fine, I'll just go ahead and arrange it with the suggested choice, Caillech-Fhinnein.

Post edited by BakaKuma at 2015-07-09 03:00:04
  • Let's take a look at one of the systems we haven't really explored yet, Religion.
    As I am Catholic, my spiritual leader is the Pope, naturally.  You'll see that there are actually two Popes now - the Pope in Rome and an Anti-Pope set up in Lorsch.  For now, it'd be too much hassle to try to follow an anti-pope.

You can also see my vassals who are in charge of the bishoprics. Here is an important thing ... if their opinion of the Pope is higher than their opinion of me (pope-hat vs crown), they will not pay taxes and levies to me. Instead they will provide them to the Pope.

• Since I am not getting any taxes from my Bishop vassals anyway, I'll go ahead and change the law to get rid of any Church Taxes. This does two things for me - it raises the Bishop's opinions of me, and it keeps all the money their holdings generate with them, so they can use it for upgrades.

In this game, you can change one law every five years, so it is important to plan ahead a little.  When the character you are playing dies, however, your heir can immediately change one law, even if it has been less than five years.

Besides the tax/levy laws there are also the laws related to succession. Who inherits your titles and claims, whether women can inherit, etc.  Depending on the culture you are playing, there will be many different types of succession available.  The game starts you off on Gavelkind, which means your children split your titles when you die.

• Oh look here! Someone fancies me! Well I am a lustful, deceitful King, so lets go for it!
    She seems familiar, but I can quite place the face ...
    Ah well, YOLO! (That's what the young nobs are saying nowadays, right?)

Oh now I remember ... she's married to my idiot spymaster ...
    Ah well, I am sure nothing bad could come of this.

(Also, note that her opinion of me jumped quite a bit. If I mosued over, you'd see she has "lover" which gives a +75 bonus)

Post edited by BakaKuma at 2015-07-08 00:45:19
  • To Be Continued ...
    So I started the game with a son and heir, Brian. Over the course of the game, I married and started to have more kids. For a lark, I named my first born son of the marriage Frel Dar, and my second Big Smooth.

At a young age, Frel Dar is already acting ... appropriately.

Post edited by BakaKuma at 2015-07-09 02:14:34
  • I felt the only option was to tell him the truth ... which made him Trusting.

Well, I am sure in this world that won't be a liability at all.
  • Meanwhile, the ongoing war has finally ended, netting me another county.

• When your children are too young to marry, you can still betroth them to other characters, and they will marry when they come of age. In this case, I've decided to strenthen ties to an ally that helped me in war, betrothing my eldest daughter to my wife's nephew, the heir to Nevarra.  'Cause incest is how we roll.

• And look at that! After a diplomacy master shows up in court, teaching me his way, I fulfill my Ambition! I must be one happy SOB right now!

• ... or not. Man I'm old.

• Maybe I can cheer up. Helping your neighbor is something that is supposed to cheer you up right?
    Here is an elderly, heirless couple, whose only wish in life is to have a daughter.  Nevermind they are 65 and 54 years old. How sweet! There must be something I can do to help ...
  • There! Now they don't have to worry about having no heir to pass their title to! Aren't I swell?

• Coming soon ... Frel Dar grows up.
  • "Be silent or I'll slap you!" Might not have made him trusting, but it would have put the boy in his place.

There's a disturbing lack of Smooth. I'm assuming then, as your previous post indicated, that he drowned while trying to ford an Irish river (while simultaneously losing 4 shirts, 2 oxen, 452 bullets and every spare wagon axle)?
  • Jesus, this thread is fanstasitc.  Fuck the Norwegians!
  • Glad you are enjoying it.
    At this point in the game Smooth is only one year old or so, so nothing has happened to him yet, good or bad.
  • Looks like someone got to my old spymaster before circumstances required me to do anything. How convenient!

Annnd it looks like we are running a very healthy household. No, this doesn't kill either of them.
    Just makes them sickly little runts.

Post edited by BakaKuma at 2015-07-10 13:58:52
  • What's a depressed aging monarch to do? I think spending my remaining years Vegas style is a good idea.

• Which of course means time for another lover! And this one is not married, whew ...
  • The years pass by as I try to fabricate a new claim to expand, and before long my dear boy Frel Dar is all grown up!
  • And what a ... um ... not totally hideous? boy he is ... I guess he has some kind of dopey charm?
    You'll note that while I think highly of him (59), he doesn't like me much at all (-19). 
    Ungrateful wretch, I really should have slapped him!

• However, it is beginning to look like he won't have long to loathe. Not long after a bastard son is born to one of my lovers, my body can no longer take this hedonistic life.

The end is near.