Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Movies I saw in theaters from 1/1/97 through 12/31/07

edited January 2016 in Movies, Music, More
You all probably recall in one form or another how I used to keep track of all the movies I saw in the movie theater, keeping all my ticket stubs and entering them into a makeshift Microsoft Word file. Recently, Mandy and I unearthed the file for movie suggestions and I found it all interesting, since many of these movies we saw together, and in some cases nearly 15-20 years ago.

I've put together the lists (and the statistical breakdowns I did of movie costs, number of movies I saw in given months, etc.) and created files that are linked to view from my Dropbox. I figured I'd post them here and let you all take a gander. Since a lot of you were with me when I saw many of these movies, I think you'll be surprised by both the volume of what we saw and by how much crap we saw!

NOTE: You do not have to have a Dropbox account to view. There's an option when you click on the link that allows you to look at it without an account!

Click here for the movies I saw between 1997 and 2007.

Click here for the statistical breakdown of costs and number of movies I saw (not surprisingly the four biggest movie months were May, June, July and August).

Hope you enjoy looking back on these movies as much as I did! Marvel in my nerdity!

Comments

• 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 425Vote Up0Vote Down
    One thing that stood out: Sneak previews. Do they still employ that tactic? I can't think of the last time I went to a sneak preview the week before a wide release.
    Post edited by MattyDoo at 2016-01-23 01:30:31
  • Can I just say that I love that we saw "A Night at the Roxbury" in theaters twice. That. Is. Awesome. You're a jungle theme!

• That is crazy! I was there for a lot of those.....man we blew a lot of money on movies lol. Attack of the Clones 5 times?!?!?

C
  • Some of those movies were just steaming turds too. Wow lol.

C
  • TheLion said:

Can I just say that I love that we saw "A Night at the Roxbury" in theaters twice. That. Is. Awesome. You're a jungle theme!

I still maintain this was my ultimate sign of friendship, subjecting myself to that not once, but twice for the greater good :P
  • Oh my good god, Matt.  The list is real!
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 425Vote Up0Vote Down
    MattyDoo said:

Not sure why this is coming in as a quote, but, yeah...

Post edited by MattyDoo at 2016-01-30 14:25:34
  • So let's review the years for fun, since this was a time when we pretty much saw every new movie that came out as they came out. There were some good ones, but some real stinkers, too.

- I will always remember seeing Kull the Conqueror with Mick and Mike after driving C-Dad to his six-month anniversary dinner at that playground. Not a terrific movie, but a great memory. Later that night, we went to the McDonalds located across the street from its current location on West 26th Street and partook of the 20 Chicken McNuggets for $1 deal. When we got home, we found out Princess Diana had died in a car accident. Remarkable evening, and somehow Kull the Conqueror is the centerpiece of it all.

- We saw (and walked out of) Gone Fishin. Pretty sure we saw it in the afternoon.

- I saw Batman and Robin on June 29. That was C-Dad's way of "making me feel better" after Val broke up with me to be with Nick E.

- We saw FOUR sneak previews that year. They don't do that anymore, do they?

- We did a November double feature of Bean and Starship Troopers. That amused me.

- The Wishmaster. "Would you like to make a WISHHHHH?!?" *shudders* 

- Rocket Man: Did the career of that guy who starred in that movie ever take off (no pun intended)? Apparently not.

- Titanic. Twice.
  • Ah...."Nick E."  I forgot about that little man.  :)
  • Nothing helps you deal with loss better than Bat Nipples!

C
  • And your Bat Credit Card.

...I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.  The first time I saw that was with C as well and it was when I had a broken nose so I was hyped up on pain killers, had a black eye, and a nose cast.  The pain killers at least made the film kind of fun.  "Ice to freeze you!"  
  • I tend to look at all things Batman with rose-colored glasses on. Hence I actually LIKED the movie at first.

Then I emerged from the cave and saw the shadows for what they really were....

C
  • Wow, 1997 seems pretty sad and boring.  I wonder why?  I feel like everything dramatically started getting better around Christmas of that year...
  • 1998 (when things got "better" after Christmas 1997 ... lol)

- Tomorrow Never Dies was an excellent way to start the new year

- Was it "Fallen" or "Phantoms" that had the line about the Girl from Ipanema, which Mike loved for years

- Desperate Measures, or as I remember it, the movie we saw when Corey and I initiated our "breakup" for a month (funny in retrospect, in my opinion!)

- Or was it "Deep Rising" that had the Girl from Ipanema reference?

- Wedding Singer on Valentine's Day evening with Ian and Mike.

- Star Theaters - where your Star Dollars are worth ... A DOLLAR!

- Some really great ones: Big Lebowski, Man in the Iron Mask, Dark City, Good Will Hunting, LW 4, Baseketball twice, Rush Hour, Blade, Very Bad Things, and of course, Night at the Roxbury twice!

- Some really terrible ones: Blues Brothers 2000, Sphere, Dirty Work, Mafia!, Snake Eyes, Vampires, Water Boy (inexplicably twice, though one of those times was a pseudo date for me)

- Soldier, which contained one of the best opening montage sequences ever
  • Remember "Money Talks" from 1997? I *think* that was the one with Charley Sheen and Chris Tucker. The movie started playing upside down and backwards, and the dialogue started going in reverse. Everyone thought it was a gag at first. When a guy went to get the manager, they fixed it after like a 10 minute wait, and then it screwed up again! We all wound up getting our money back (thank God....the movie was terrible).

Funny memory :)

C
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 0Vote Up0Vote Down
    Soldier. Kurt Russel......IN SPACE!!!!!

C
    Post edited by SuperCDad at 2016-02-02 00:24:07
  • I AM SO SAD, I ACCIDENTALLY CUT MY FINGER WITH THESE CARROTS.  

How many planet killers do we have on board?

- We saw "There's Something About
    Mary" at the dollar theater. Ian, if I recall, saw that movie anywhere
    from 7-10 times in the theater. 

- “In Dreams.” Worst date movie I think ever.

- "Office Space" was
    released. I was underwhelmed until I literally lived the movie. Now it's a cult
    classic.

- "Rushmore" was released. I still don't
    "get" Wes Anderson. 

- "Ravenous" Still the best cannibals-chasing-people-down-through-the-forest soundtrack in movie history.

- Saw "The Matrix" 4 times in 1999. Total cost = $17.

- "Black Mask" ???

- “The Phantom Menace” - Yeah, everyone hates it, but almost
    everyone saw it in the theater 5 times that year like I did (and possibly
    more). Total cost to see that movie 5 times = $23

- "Election" - Criminally underrated black comedy.
    Still one of my all-time favorites. 

- "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me" - Saw it three times
    that summer. It's the second time an Austin Powers movie helped me get past a breakup.

- "Wild Wild West" – oof

- "Big Daddy" – uck

- "American Pie" - I still wax nostalgic about this
    movie, which is tame by today's standards. If you haven't seen "American
    Reunion" yet I recommend it. It's like these characters are mirroring our
    own life arc, except for the breaking-our-virginity pact or having sex with any
    of our friends' mothers.

- "Eyes Wide Shut" - I still hate that I spent $6 on
    this. "Let's fuck!"

- "Deep Blue Sea" - I would have spent $60 on this
    masterpiece. "You ate my bird!"

- "The Blair Witch Project" - Creeped me out, but is now a
    punchline. Of note, we saw this with "Special," I think, and given
    the date of the showing was 7/30/99, this would have been someone's 29-month anniversary
    with Eliuj, so there's that. 

- "Mystery Men" - We need to rewatch this one sometime.
    "Awww, dang!"

- "The Sixth Sense"

- "The Iron Giant" - Criminally underrated 

- "The 13th Warrior" - We saw this? :)

- "Fight Club," then "Pokemon: The First Movie" - I love the weird symmetry of this, that our group saw
    these on back-to-back weekends 

- "The World Is Not Enough" - Christmas came twice in 1999

- "Dogma" - I often forget about this one.

- "Galaxy Quest" - An all-time great!

• I saw black mask with you.  The damn mask was crinkled--it looked like the wrappers on reese's peanut butter cups.  It bugged the hell out of me for the whole damn movie.  I seem to recall that he was just a simple librarian trying to rescue his sister or something.  Wikipedia says...I was right about everything but the damsel in distress.  It was horrible.  
  • Man, 99 was a great year for movies!

C
  • Stupid soundtrack to Eyes Wide Shut. hehehe