Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child review (some spoilers)

Well, I finally got around to reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Or, as Mike would call it: Harpy Potter and the Coursed Childer. I am a huge Potter fan, but I really dragged my feet before reading this one. I had heard a few bad reviews of it, and the fact that it was in play-script form really turned me off.

I am very happy to say that I loved every minute of it! 120 minutes, to be precise, because I polished it off in two hours (just like old times).

The book centers around Harry's son, Albus, and Albus' best friend Scorpius Malfoy. Yes, you read that correctly. Albus gets sorted by the Sorting Hat into Slytherin, which was an awesome idea that I called back after I read #7, and befriends Scorpius immediately. Scorpius is NOTHING like Draco, which is awesome: He is kind, caring, and a hugger :). Albus, on the other hand, is quite a dark character. He has a very tough relationship with Harry, and lashes out at him quite a bit. Growing up in the shadows of a legend has taken its toll on Albus, and Albus' placement in Slytherin only makes this position even more awkward.

The real treat of the book, however, were the moments spent with some of the old cast. Minerva is now the Headmistress at Hogwarts, which is awesome. I'm not going to tell you HOW Snape and Dumbledore show up, but they do. The new Snape stuff put a huge smile on my face. He was always one of my favorite characters. We never got to see Snape doing any Order of the Phoenix type stuff in the old books, so it was cool seeing him interact with the other heroes (while still being a petty jerk at times :)). The Dumbledore stuff, while rushed, deals with an issue that has bothered me since the original books. I won't get into it here, but I'm glad it was finally addressed. Though, I wish she would have gotten more into it. The relationship between adult Harry and Draco was one of the real highlights of the book. Their past still clearly influences their interactions, but a small friendship makes its way to the surface. Great stuff.

There were flaws to the story, of course. The villain of the story is very predictable. The Dumbledore stuff, as I mentioned before, was very rushed. And Scorpius really belonged in Hufflepuff instead of Slytherin :) But overall this is a great read. New lines and scenes with old friends. You can't beat it. I really hope Rowling changes her mind and decides to do more books. The end of this one really does leave it open to a new series. We'll just have to wait and see.

Comments