Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Luke Cage

So...anybody else watch any of "Luke Cage" yet?  

I won't spoil anything here, but I wasn't too sure what to think during the first episode. It was kind of slow...felt a little "off" to me and I wasn't sure I liked it until the final few minutes or so.  But the 2nd episode was really good and the third blew me me away.  The pacing, music, and character development remind me of a Tarantino film - which is funny, because a while back Tarantino wanted to direct a Luke Cage movie, so I suppose it's fitting.

It's so good that in one episode something epically, almost comically ridiculous happens - it was almost completely out of place, and I laughed out loud...but it still worked for me.  You can argue that based on what had been established in the story it was feasible...but it still seemed a little extreme to me. But, we can talk about that once people catch up - and highly recommend that you do.

Anyway, I'm eager to see where it goes from here.  I'm definitely hooked. Sweet Christmas.

Comments

• 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Definitely started it.  Partway through first episode.  Will I finish it?  I've only ever finished DD season one.  Though LC inspires me to go back and finish all the others...
  • I'm delving into Jessica Jones first (and finally), which seems reasonable since I assume that's the as-yet-named Luke Cage plowing the plucky P.I. halfway through the first episode.
  • I am hoping to start it on Thursday (Greys anatomy evening). Of course after Matts comment I am probably going to have the Mr Plow song in my head the whole time. Especially if he happens to get busy. :D
  • Just watched the 4th episode. Perfection.
  • airdog said:

I am hoping to start it on Thursday (Greys anatomy evening). Of course after Matts comment I am probably going to have the Mr Plow song in my head the whole time. Especially if he happens to get busy. :D

Dear God, so much plowing. :^o

Not to hijack the thread, but Jessica Jones is pretty decent, plowing notwithstanding. Eager to see Luke Cage in his own story after a pretty significant intro to the character in JJ. I really like the big bad in JJ as well. He's no Kingpin but still very cool.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 0Vote Up0Vote Down
    That time in Jessica Jones when they misspelled "unknown." #unkown

Post edited by MattyDoo at 2016-10-06 09:10:08
  • Wait...you've never heard of the famous Marvel character, "Unkown"?  :)

Seriously though, that's hilarious.  

I agree, Dr. Who is pretty awesome in Jessica Jones, but not quite Edgar Suit awesome. I need some sugar water.
  • Never watched Doctor Who but I know the nerds generally liked Tennant as the doctor. He's been great. And I LOVE that they threw Nuke into the mix, although I felt like they show-horned him into it. Feels more like they're laying the foundation for something else.

Sorry again for thread jacking. I should be watching Luke Cage by the weekend.
  • "You want me to put my hands.......above my head?"
  • Watched ep1 last night and I am glad to hear it gets better. I agree with Mike that it felt really slow and I just wasn't sure what was going on. I especially had trouble with the villains and figuring out who they were. I do like how the actor portrays Luke though.

Thankfully there was a little bit of snow removal in the episode. ;)

I know I am in the minority but JJ was my favorite of the marvel Netflix series so far.
  • The opening theme song to Luke Cage is awesome, and is probably my favorite of all of them.
  • I don't hate watching it repeatedly, it is pretty great.  :)
  • TheLion said:

It's so good that in one episode something epically, almost comically ridiculous happens - it was almost completely out of place, and I laughed out loud...but it still worked for me.  You can argue that based on what had been established in the story it was feasible...but it still seemed a little extreme to me. But, we can talk about that once people catch up - and highly recommend that you do.

Which episode? Just finished the third.

• MattyDoo said:

TheLion said:

MattyDoo said:

Which episode? Just finished the third.

I may have overreacted to what I thought was crazy...but it was the end of the third, I believe? It involved a certain character on a rooftop. 
  • Tone?  I thought that was great.  The minor characters are even great.  Sugar and Zip are hilarious.  I just finished it the other day.  I haven't finished a Netflix Marvel run since the original Daredevil.  GREAT show.  Some of the action/drama was a bit too Jessica-Jones-menace for me.  Having Turk show up from time to time was also funny.  Not sure how I feel about Diamondback.
  • I just finished this last night. Overall a good series but strange as I felt the episodes in the middle of the series were the best. The first few and the last few were somewhat boring (for lack of a better word), IMO. I am very interested to see where they take the character though.
  • SPOILERS
    I don't disagree. Big failing for me toward the end was the "new big bad" who felt a lot more one-dimensional than Cottonmouth. I didn't buy into the familial history and I felt like Diamondback was way outside the thematic scope of what they were trying to present at the outset. With Cottonmouth, it was about Harlem and the neighborhood dynamic. Toward the end, it was brother vs. brother revenge, which didn't resonate with me as much.

I will say that Shades is awesome, that I applaud their use of significantly more Night Nurse, and that overall they made a great character who is flawed in some ways but is overall likable and considerably more interesting that I would have thought at the outset. Did I mention more Night Nurse? So hot.
  • Shades was freaking great.  I love that he even worked into the damn thing, "What you talking about, Willis?"

The ending of the damn show made it for me, although I completely agree that Diamondback felt really, really weird.  Definitely a step down from Cottonmouth.  And the whole powersuit thing just didn't work for me.
  • I agree with just about everything said here.  And I hope that someday we get a Kingpin-Shades team-up.  I'm with Joe, though - that it was the last few minutes of the show that made it work for me.  I'll be curious to see if "The Defenders" ends up beginning with Cage's trial, or if that will wait for Season 2 of Luke Cage.

Also...

...how has anyone not pointed out that Luke Cage is Corey?  Luke actually says, "I'm the miracle baby," in one episode. Holy shit!  We now know the "C" in "C-Dog" stands for "Cage." :)
  • Oh, and the music was amazing.  Like "Guardians of the Galaxy" it felt like a character.
  • I loved that it was almost entirely actual real recording artists performing it at the club.

Also, obligatory references to Mike explaining his previous post to everyone at BDubs.