Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

New laptop

Anyone have suggestions on a laptop I can purchase with reasonably decent gaming specs (doesn't have to be the best, obviously, at that price point...enough to play, say, Civ VI or the like)? Something that'll handle most basic Internet-based tasks and desktop programs with maybe a wee bit better than average processor/graphics card?

Comments

• 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Sooo...this question always seems to be met with silence. Perhaps if I provide a computer I'm looking at and you tell me if you think it's a good deal.

Again, just looking for the basics but still able to reasonably handle game play (Civ VI, that game we all were going to try to play online together that one time but my current laptop sucks, etc.). Something that can handle all things Internet and not lag too terribly much.

This is the one I think I'd like to get. Any concerns about the specs, or would they meet my modest requirements?

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-2512BLK-Generation-GeForce/dp/B015PYZ0J6

Intel Quad Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
    8 GB DDR3L SDRAM
    1 TB HDD + 8 GB SSD Hybrid Drive Storage; Optical Drive Not included
    15.6 Inch FHD (1920 x 1080 pixels) LED-lit Truelife Screen
    Windows 10 Operating System; Matte Black featuring Red Chassis
  • Yea, the difficult thing is that CPUs and GPUs change so quickly that the last time I researched for a laptop was 4+ years ago.

However, given the specs you gave, I did find a YouTube benchmark of Civ 6 using the same GPU, but a lower end CPU:

It looks like they are getting ~30 FPS in Civ 6, which is perfect for that game. Plus the channel with that has some other modern games becnhmarked with the same setup, so it may be worth browsing.
    I'd say that the laptop is perfect for what you want.

And if there are plans to play Civ 6 online, let me know ... I've been putting many hours in :)
  • Thanks for the blessing, Kev. I haven't purchased a laptop in over six years, and that one was a deal through an old co-worker. Haven't bought one on my own in a decade, and it was a shitty one when I bought it!

Is it worth it to pay the extra $80 for 16GB of RAM now, or is that something I can update on my own later? I added RAM to my old desktop on my own previously but it was easy to access in the tower. I'm thinking it couldn't hurt to pay for it up front but just curious.

Lastly, any suggestions on websites that might offer a better deal than Amazon on this?
  • If you have the $, it's easier to get the extra RAM now. It's not hard to expand RAM later, but since you want to make sure all your RAM is matched (same manufacturer, clock, etc), it is more convenient to get it up front.

NewEgg is my go-to for computer related items, so I'd check them out. But Amazon may be as good a deal on laptops, especially from a manufacturer like Dell.
  • One nice thing with NewEgg is they don't charge sales tax for out of state purchases, and have a free shipping option (and to get from NJ to Syracuse, their 3 - 7 day free shipping usually takes 1 or 2 days).  So even if the price is lower on Amazon, it may be worth seeing how it is after tax is factored in.
  • Yeah, I'm a big fan of new egg as well.  Though I haven't ordered from them in a while.  
  • .,..does this mean the three of us might be able to finally play Borderlands 2 together some day? :)
  • Sounds good  :bz
  • As a point of conversation, I don't even own a computer any more.  I ended up pulling the hard drive and retiring the old compysaurus this fall.  I bought that thing when I was doing my undergraduate in college.  I'd have to check my paperwork, but I sure squeaked a lot of years out of that thing.  

I miss PC gaming.  
  • I've owned two computers since I've been married: the desktop we bought in Chicago in 2003 and the laptop we bought before I started pharmacy school in 2010. Doubt I'll ever own another desktop but as the kiddos get older I imagine they'll need something for homework and such.

Pulled the trigger just now on the Dell laptop. Sprung for the extra 8 GB of RAM (total 16GB) and now *should* have a machine powerful enough to play Borderlands 2 and Civ VI. The full specs below:

Screen Size

15.6 inches

Screen Resolution

1920x1080

Processor

3.5 GHz

RAM

16 GB DDR3 SDRAM

Hard Drive

1000 GB SATA

Graphics Coprocessor

NVIDIA GeForce

Chipset Brand

NVIDIA GeForce 960M 4GB GDDR5 [960M4G]

Wireless Type

802.11 A/C

Number of USB 3.0 Ports

Series

Inspiron 15 7000 series, 7559

Item model number

i7559-3763BLK

Operating System

Windows 10

Item Weight

5.7 pounds

Color

Matte Black featuring Red

Processor Brand

Intel

Processor Count

Computer Memory Type

SDRAM

Hard Drive Interface

Serial ATA

Hard Drive Rotational Speed

5400 RPM

• MattyDoo said:

Color: Matte Black featuring Red

This made me chuckle - I guess I need to get a new laptop that is "Mike Tan." (...only Matt will get that, but it's okay :) )
  • ...just realized that those were our City of Heroes aliases.  :)
  • Huh, I always thought that was deliberate...
  • He he he - I wish it was "Matte Black featuring Tan." That might have been the best thing ever.

Typing this on the new compy. It's lovely. :-)

Can I get Borderlands 2 via Steam? I'll keep you posted - will probably start downloading stuff tonight and testing it out. Once I get it we'll figure out some time to play.
  • Yes you can ... depending on how patient you are / how soon you want to play, if you wait a few weeks there will probably be a really good Steam sale on it, as it tends to go on sale frequently. But I don't think it is too expensive as it is.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 0Vote Up0Vote Down
    This is a great little multi-player game called "BroForce" - it's kind of like a funny version of Contra where you get to play as all the main characters from action movies.  Just throwing this link out there since it's ridiculously cheap in case anyone wanted to play sometime (it's on sale at this link):

(it's less than 4 bucks)
    Post edited by TheLion at 2016-11-12 14:01:29
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 430Vote Up0Vote Down
    I picked up Borderlands 2 (thanks to a link to a relatively inexpensive code that Mike let me know about) and I got Civ VI as well, though I haven't had time to play either one. I might try to play a little bit tonight but mostly just setting stuff up. I did test Borderlands on the computer and it's silky smooth, so once I figure out how the heck to play I should be good for some co-op action.

I'm excited to play Civ VI because I've traditionally loved RTS games (I've played Age of Empires and still own Rise of Nations, as well as Command and Conquer) and while I guess this is more turn-based than "real-time" strategy I think it'll still be fun. At least I hope so, given the price point....
    Post edited by MattyDoo at 2016-11-12 17:37:57
  • TheLion said:

This is a great little multi-player game called "BroForce" - it's kind of like a funny version of Contra where you get to play as all the main characters from action movies.  Just throwing this link out there since it's ridiculously cheap in case anyone wanted to play sometime (it's on sale at this link):

(it's less than 4 bucks)
    This looks ... awesome!
  • Just a heads up, Civ VI isn't an RTS, its a turn-based strategy game. (Technically, the genre is '4X' or 'eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate').  It is an awesome game, but I want to make sure you have the right expectations going into it. 
  • Yeah, I misspoke and edited in the interim. I knew the mechanics were different, just mistakenly grouped them into the same genre. :-)
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 0Vote Up0Vote Down
    MattyDoo said:

TheLion said:

(it's less than 4 bucks)
    This looks ... awesome!
    Yeah, it's pretty amazing and incredibly fun!  The co-op is a lot of fun too.  The characters are great: Rambro, Brobocop, Brolander, Commandbro, Indiana Brones, etc.  It's good, silly fun.
    Post edited by TheLion at 2016-11-12 19:23:30