Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Rogue One (Spoilers)

So, a few of us saw it opening night and absolutely loved it. I loved it for so many reasons, but if I had to point out two flaws it would be these:
1. The first 20 minutes were jarring.  For the first 20 minutes of the movie I was really concerned if this was going to be good - it felt uneven and SO much was introduced.  It didn't feel cohesive or have a great flow.
2. Characters.  By the end of the movie I loved the cast and the merry band of rebels, BUT if there is one thing that The Force Awakens did better, it was craft some really great characters that you cared about.  But, and I LOVED The Force Awakens, Rogue One did just about everything else better.  

Here are some fun links to sites that point out how it affected A New Hope (and, in my opinion, strengthen's the story of A New Hope by making it better) along with easter eggs and character cameos - I had actually missed just how much Star Wars Rebels is nodded to which was kind of cool.

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This is kind of interesting too, it discusses all the reshoots and what changed:

• Yeah I have been thinking a lot about how this compares to the Force Awakens. I think as a one off movie Rogue One was better but the Force Awakens really got me excited to see where the story goes(related to your point about character development). So IMO they are really tough to compare as the Force Awakens really depends on how the rest of the story unfolds.
  • I kind of feel that if you could some how mash up "The Force Awakens" and "Rogue One" you'd end up with the perfect Star Wars movie.
  • Wow, the reshooting must've been extensive.  Huh.
  • There were some references here that I hadn't heard about yet:

• Finally saw it today. Some thoughts:

It's ridiculously hard to compare this one to "Force Awakens" because they are such different movies with different elements that make them good (and bad). If I think about it, I'd have to say I loved the *characters* more in "Force Awakens" while I loved the story, effects and tie-ins to the old trilogy in "Rogue One." Overall, I feel more satisfied after "Rogue One" than I did with "Force Awakens."

"Rogue One" had some amazing effects, both modern and retro. It *felt* like the universe that "A New Hope" takes place in. Even though there are definitely futuristic elements to the CGI, it seemed believable to me that the tech scarcity in "A New Hope" was echoed in "Rogue One." The moisture farm in the beginning, the rebel base on Yavin IV seeming to be old and cobbled together (as you would expect for a fledgling rebellion) and pretty much every area they take us to. It felt cohesive with Episode IV. I think it also helps clear up in my head why things seemed so technologically advanced in the prequels and then so desolate and relatively primitive in the original trilogy - with the Empire taking over, a lot of the progress made in the technology was halted, and a lot of the rebellion was done behind the scenes in remote or technologically impaired places. I liked that element and it strengthened Episodes I-IV in that way for me.

If this wasn't a direct tie-in to Episode IV, this would have been a flop in my opinion. Much like "Force Awakens," I think the story itself is weak overall. Pretty boilerplate: We need to obtain something against all odds, and we, the audience, know that you will so it takes away the suspense. It was the tie-ins to Episode IV that made the movie for me and gave me chills in places. I wasn't at all distracted by CGI Tarkin, and even though I knew it was coming, CGI Leia was just the best thing ever. Darth Vader fucking mauling everything in his path toward the end of the movie was just breathtaking and fantastic. They did just the right amount of old characters to tie into Episode IV without making it seem like it was TOO MUCH old characters, and I thought they handled that balance exquisitely.

The fight scenes, the cinematography, the subtle but important nods to Episode IV (Bail Organa, the dudes who accost Luke in Mos Eisley cantina, etc.) and the overall strengthening of Episode IV all made the movie enjoyable and fun. But the characters were weak, the backstory for Jyn was OK, and whatever Forest Whitaker's character was supposed to be fell way short of how cool I assume he must be in canon from whatever animated series or comic book they drew his character from. In fact, I think the best parallel to Whitaker's character was that guy from Episode III (Grievous?) who coughed all the time for reasons that only made sense if you watched "Clone Wars." I get annoyed when I have to watch things outside of the sequential movies in order for a character to make sense.

Also, am I the only one that thought the droid was the best character in the movie? Because I think he was the best character in the movie, even though I think Felicity Jones is ridiculously attractive and may have the most kissable lips on a celebrity this side of Angelina Jolie. But I can't make out with Felicity Jones, and as a result her character is not as great as it would be if she were making out with me.

In the end I had more fun with this than I was expecting and it makes me want to watch it back-to-back with Episode IV because it ultimately makes the original trilogy even better (as if that were possible) as a result. It fleshes out what happened "in the past" in the original trilogy without being obnoxious or needlessly CGI-heavy, and in the end it was the moments that nodded toward "A New Hope" that made this movie great. But again, if it weren't for it's tie-in to "A New Hope," and it was just a standard issue "let's steal something from the bad guys against impossible odds, with a convenient 'master switch' right on the beach and a tower that's probably never been used except for the sole purpose of transmitting Death Star plans" story, I could have just watched "Ocean's Eleven" and been just as entertained. Probably with a better soundtrack, too.

Despite the complaint, I loved it, and while it's not comparable in any fair way with "Force Awakens" to the point where I can't say one is better than the other, I enjoyed "Rogue One" a lot more.
  • Saw is a character from the failed live action television series.  Aside from a brief appearance as a teen in Clone Wars, Rogue One is pretty much his Star Wars debut.  They're adding him in to other stuff, not that he's officially in the movies.  I don't think there needs to be much depth to him--he's pretty quickly established as a bugnuts asshole terrorist who saved Jyn, but the Rebellion doesn't want to go near.  

K2 was fantastic.  C3PO tells you the odds because he's afraid he's going to die.  K2 tells you the odds because he is an asshole.  

My favorite character was Chirrut.

And your review really covers a lot of how I feel about the movie, including in relation to TFA.  You may think you're being tough but fair, but we're on the same page.  I just wish I'd known you hadn't seen it yet so we could've seen it together.  
    :D
  • *now, wrt to Saw.  Did I lose the ability to edit posts?
  • edited January 19 Posts: 0Vote Up0Vote Down
    Well, if I thought any of you would have been able to play hooky on a random Wednesday afternoon, I totally would have invited you. Given the tight work schedule I've had over the holidays plus my dearth of evening shifts, finding time to squeeze this in was hard enough, much less turning it into a semi-group outing. Perhaps someday we can watch Rogue One and A New Hope back to back. That would be the bees' knees.

As I ruminate further, there are all these little things about "A New Hope" that just strike me with so much more depth and impact, given the events of "Rogue One." This one I noted on Facebook yesterday:

"Even little things from Episode IV, like when Tarken says it's time to test the full power of the battle station. You assume at this point that it's the first time they fired it, when in fact it was the first time they'd actually 'killed a planet.' It was a nice touch in 'Rogue One,' actually using the Death Star in a limited but still hugely destructive capacity."
    Post edited by MattyDoo at 2017-01-19 15:59:34
  • That is actually a really great catch, Matt--I never noticed that.  Awesome.  I think one of my favorite, "Well...okay, of course that would make sense." is that pilot #5 blows up over Scarif.  Which is why there is an opening for Luke to be Red 5 in ANH.  
  • You guys all suck for not talking about this, or other stuff on here, more.   :P

Hands down, the most epic revelation that changes the original trilogy is that Bail Organa was sending Leia to Obi-wan WITHOUT THE FUCKING PLANS.

That she got them was a fluke.

There is only ONE FUCKING REASON you deliberately send the child of Anakin Skywalker to the last Jedi in the galaxy.
  • Shit...that's awesome.
  • What reason? I'm sure it'll be obvious when you say it, but I'm sleepy so it's not hitting home.

Noteworthy - Obi-Wan is NOT the last Jedi in the galaxy at that point in the story. :)
  • Oh, I'm aware of that.  My argument is that even though Bail tells Mon that he's sending Leia to Obi-wan out of trust in her secrecy in recruiting him, is that he's actually doing it to have her trained as a Jedi.

Also, I think the "easter egg" of R2 and C3PO on Yavin IV is meant as a deliberate backwards lampshading to resolve the plot hole with Leia's location--that Leia who was not on Yavin IV at the start of the movie IS by the middle, without giving it entirely away.  This resolves the part where Bail talks about Leia being on Alderaan, and yet she's just suddenly at Scarif at the end of the movie.