Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Warmachine! Hordes! Painting and more!

edited June 2014 in Games and Gaming
It all began last summer with a link to a kickstarter: Warmachine Tactics. Knowing I was a fan of turn-based tactical PC games (which seem to be making a comeback thanks to the indie game surge), Da Pitz showed the kickstarter to me, guessing correctly I would be interested.  Not only was I intrigued by the game, but I was also grabbed by the steampunk/fantasy aesthetic of the game. I started investigating the tabletop game Warmachine, as well as getting some information from Da Pitz (who had heard about it from a friend). Now not only did the look of the game interest me, but so did the gameplay. Coming from Warhammer most recently, the idea of a game played with a much lower model count sounded great (particularly after playing orcs, where an army was easily 100+ models).

Not only did I back the Kickstarter, but together with Da Pitz we split the Warmachine two-player starter set. He took the heretic smiting Protectorate of Menoth force, and I joined the defense of the Motherland with the conquering imperial russian-esque Khador army.  Then, for Christmas my brother got me half of the starter set for Warmachine's (fully compatible) sister game, Hordes. He took the treehugging Circle of Oroboros, I received the dragon-spawn demon like Legions of Everblight.

In this thread I plan to post overviews of the game, what I like about it, updates on models I get, in-progress and finished painting projects, and any other thoughts related to the commonly titled game of WarmaHordes 
:-D

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • My current painting project is finishing up my unit of Khador Widowmakers (basically a unit of snipers). I finished one earlier this year, now I am working on the other three in the unit.

I just have a few highlights and minor details to finish. I will be basing them with a forest theme; lately of gotten into making fancier bases than just sand painted green.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 734Vote Up0Vote Down
    Another work in progress, the Khador Spriggan Warjack. This warjack features an impressive lance, large shield (not currently attached as it is being painted separately), and shoulder mounted grenade launchers.  One of its favored features is the ability to launch "beacon" grenades to light up enemies that would otherwise be concealed by fog / cloud effects.

I have just the red base coat on, and some a couple other colors started.  When I started painting Warmachine minis, I "upped my game" in terms of painting techniques. As part of this, I thin my paints much more, which means it takes many coats of red paint to cover a black undrecoat. I really need an airbrush for these warjacks 
    ;)

Post edited by BakaKuma at 2014-06-03 21:28:57
  • So tell me about Warmachine vs Warhammer?
  • Nice! I am 75% finished with my Cygnar Avenger heavy Warjack.
    As Kevin mentioned, my Army for Hordes is The Circle of Orboros, more than tree huggers they are Nature's bad arse warriors and druids!
    For War machine, I play Cygnar, kingdom of honor and "Crown jewel of the Iron Kingdoms". They have an American-British preindustrial Revolution feel and look to them.
  • dumps said:

So tell me about Warmachine vs Warhammer?

I'll start with the most distinctive, unique feature of Warmachine: The Warcaster and Warjacks.

The leader of your Warmachine force is a Warcaster ... basically a steampunk battle wizard with the ability to control giant steam-powered robots called War Jacks.  If the Warcaster is killed, all her 'jacks go inert. In game terms, this means you lose.  Unlike Warhammer, games can end very quickly if one player pulls of an assassination.  

Warjacks are probably the main thing that draws people to the game. I mean, who doesn't like giant steam powered robots?  They come in all shapes and sizes and roles. The army I play, Khador, has slow, highly armored heavy machines.

Warmachine is a skirmish game, meaning you typically are using a smaller number models in your game. For example, in Warhammer, a unit of 10 troops is usually considered a small unit. In Warmachine, you really have as many as 10 in a unit. A game of Warhammer would have 50 - 100+ troops in an army. A warmachine game would more typically have 15 - 30.

Warmachine plays quicker, combat (especially melee) tends to be much more brutal, movement is less regimented, and each different Warcaster brings a unique feel to the game. Just changing your warcaster can make a big difference in how a single army list plays.

Movement is less regimented than Warhammer (which one would expect from a skirmish game), as well.

One other difference that stands out to me is the Warmachine ruleset is better written from a practical standpoint. By this I mean the is less ambiguity, grey areas, and poorly worded rules. Words are precisely chosen for a reason and are well defined in the game. For most rules questions in Warmachine, a literal reading of the rules will answer the question.

In summary: Warhammer = large groups of fantasy troops meeting on a battle field, Warmachine = wizard leading a small band of robots and elite troops against one another.
  • This is one of the two Warjacks that came in the starter set for Khaor, my only fully painted 'jack so far. It is called a Juggernaut, and as you can probably see, it is purely melee focused.  The ax has a nice effect where a critical hit (rolling doubles, basically) will freeze an opponent, making further attacks against it auto-hit, among other things.  I've been able to take out other heavy jacks completely in one round of combat when I've gotten the crit on my first attack.

• That's beautiful, Oni.
  • I took a bunch of pics this weekend.

Here is the finished unit of Man o War Shocktroopers. These are troops wearing steam powered armor.

• Widowmakers

• War dog!
  • This pic I took a while ago, but I'm including for completeness. My first Warcaster, Kommander Sorcha.
  • Holy crap, your painting is simply stunning.
  • Thanks! I really tried to step up my game when I started painting the Warmachine models. While I am nowhere near the pro painters, I really like the results I am getting.

If you are interested, here are the things I started doing:
    • Upgraded my brushes. I'm using all Kolinsky sable hair brushes, and they make a huge difference in how the paint flows off the brush.
    • Thinning my paints (using several additives to help, like a flow improver that removes surface tension, and acrylic medium). This makes it take more time to apply the paints (as more layers are needed), but provides a smoother finish with less risk of covering details.
    • Wet blending. This is a two brush method that takes a lot of time to do, but allows for smoother transitions from light to dark than layering. Smooth surfaces like cloth, the war dogs fur, etc. is where this really helps.
    • Having fun with basing. Instead of just painted sand, I've been experimenting with a lot of different basing techniques, and I've really enjoyed the results.

• BakaKuma - you really have some great talent there! I wish I had the patience to sit and paint, it's a great use of creativity and has to be very zenlike at times. Great work and thanks for sharing the pics!
  • Yea, I find it is very relaxing to sit and paint. Honestly, I usually only paint for 15 to 30 minutes at a time, so really there is not much patience needed :)

Oh, one other tool I picked up was a 2.5x optivisor ... helps lots for tiny parts!
  • I just got a nail polish display rack, which happens to be perfect for miniature paints.  I took the opportunity to clean up and organize my painting area. It won't last long in this state, but here it is in all its glory: