So I am still wrestling with this movie after last nights viewing. Thought starting a discussion on it might help me flesh it out a little bit.
First things I liked:
1. Rey and Kylo team up. That whole scene was badass and kept the movie out of prequel land for me. Only regret from that scene was that I was hoping we would learn more about Snoke.
2. Kylo vs. Luke. Loved the choreography and dialogue. Then the twist at the end blew my mind.
Things I didn’t like:
1. Rey and Luke. I am not sure what bothered me so much about this half of the movie but I just didn’t feel anything from their interaction. Maybe the actors didn’t have any chemistry or maybe I am just not buying Luke’s reasoning but I was literally just wishing they would move on the entire time they went to that island.
2. Mission to gambling planet. Interesting to see the other side of the universe but it just felt very strange to me. Plus didn’t love Del Torro’s character. This whole sequence reminded me of the “capture a wight and take it to Cerci” plot from GoT for its randomness and stupidity.
3. Too much humor. One of the great part of the original trilogy and the force awakens is the humor (hence why I love Han so much). The jokes they inserted in Last Jedi were all funny and I laughed at all of them. However, There was just too many IMO. Throughout the first half the movie I felt like I was watching a comedy and I think it might be why I had trouble getting into the story in the first half.
4. What’s up with all the wildlife? I know there are animals in the other movies but they were mostly domesticated and certainly not such a primary focus. Small nitpick but not sure where the idea to put wildlife in came from (specifically could have done without the green milk and the little cute things flying around with Chewie).
Things I am still thinking about:
1. Love triangle. This one is more of a see where it goes thing but not sure how I feel about them starting another one of these.
2. Poe. The constant disobeying orders and having no consequences for it kind of wears on me but I do like having a true blue resistance fighter.
3. The chase scene in general. While we were watching it I was honestly not enjoying it. However as I think about it more, I can’t think of why and it seems decent in hindsight. Not sure if the other things I pointed out above maybe bled over into my lack of enjoyment in this sequence as they were going on at the same time.
So I think I went on long enough. Would love to hear others thoughts as I haven’t read any public reviews yet. Overall right now I would probably put it behind the original 3 and force awakens (and rogue one if including the non-main arch movies) but ahead of the prequels.