Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Sentinels of the Multiverse (cooperative card game)

The game getting the most play by my local gaming group has been Sentinels of the Multiverse.

It is a cooperative card game, where each player takes on the role of a super hero, and as a team battles against a villain in various exotic locales.
Each player selects a hero, represented by a deck of cards unique to that hero. The cards represent the various powers, actions, abilities, equipment, etc., for the hero. The players then select a villain to play against (represented by a deck as well), and an environment to play at (again, with its own deck).  The decks are fixed; that is, it is not a deck building game or customizable card game.  Victory typically is achieved by getting the villain down to 0 hit points, although some villains may have unique victory conditions.

The heroes, villains, and environments all play very differently from one another. You could play with the same heroes and keep changing the villains and/or environments, and have a completely different feel to each game, requiring different tactics each time through.  There are also a lot of synergies that can be found between the different heroes, and you have the best chance for success when you look for these and work as a team.  This aspect of the game does mean difficulty can swing wildly from one game to the next depending on the heroes, villain, and environment chosen. However, each hero and villain does have a difficulty rating that serves as a pretty good general guide.  Furthermore, each villain has Advanced difficulty rules that can be used to make a villain harder if you find he/she/it is too easy.

Theme-wise, the game hits it spot-on. To me it actually has a CoH vibe to it; all original heroes that capture a lot of the archetypes of the genre while still having a setting and background that is their own. Each card has a quote on it from a "comic," with the comics issue number and name, which is a nice little touch to help set the theme of the game.

The flow of the game is: Villain Turn, a turn for each hero, and then environment turn. The villain turn involves playing a card from the villain deck and resolving all actions on villain cards in play. During each hero's turn, the player can play a card and use a power (every hero has one default power, and then may get more by playing cards). Finally, environments provide a wide variety of effects, not all negative - some may include police backup, or have equal chance of attacking villain targets.

Games play relatively quickly (usually under an hour), so in a single evening its possibly to try a wide variety of match-ups. The game is designed for 2 - 5 players, and has a built in mechanic to help it scale. It been my local groups go-to game for most nice, since it is quick and easy to setup, provides lots of tactical options, lots of variety, and is just plain fun. 

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I like the sound of this.
  • BakaKamu - what's the buy-in for something like this? I'm behind in the card-gaming department, but this sounds really fun to me because of setting and subject matter. I'm still behind on things like Dominion and Seven Wonders (where I discovered that Bear Traps were a scientific discovery next to the compass and the tablet. :)
  • The base set has an MSRP of $40, although if you buy online, you can get it for $25 - $30. I'll be bringing it with me when I come to Erie in August (15, 16) if peeps want to try it out.
  • KakuKuma, if you brought it down with you that would be awesome! I'd love to try it out. Thanks!
  • I'd give it a try, too.  Though I'm certainly hearing some poo-pooing from the more hardcore of my board game acquaintances.  And, of course, for my part--I'd much rather play as Than than someone else's characters...  ;)
  • ...side note...my post should read as "BakaKuma" not "KakuKuma"...
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 734Vote Up0Vote Down
    Out of curiosity, what kind of poo-pooing? The theme? The fact it is co-op? It is a genuinely good game, evidenced by the fact it is the go to game for our group here, who've played more than their fair share of board games, card games, and table top games :P

Of course, I do realize the hardcore of sites like BGG tend to have a groupthink that favors certain types of games over others (which is why I can't reliable use the BGG ratings to determine how I'll like a game. Individual reviews are better if they are well written, at least).

And everyone does have their own types of games they like / don't like (for instance, now that I've tried some, I've discovered I am not a fan of draft or deck building games).
    Post edited by BakaKuma at 2014-07-27 14:22:09
  • So, I did a quick review of the items they have on Amazon for "Sentinals" and I have to say I'm a little intrigued and excited. As some of you may recal, card based games have never been in my wheelhouse (with the exception of Pokemon...which I got a speeding ticket for, of course. As well as a brief foray into Rage and my eternal love of "Swords to Plowshares" in Magic). However, this sounds really fun to me. The "Vengeance" expansion looks especially fun.
  • I think you'll enjoy it, they've done a good job of making each hero and villain feel unique, and reprsenting the different kinds of heroes without feeling like they are just copying existing heroes.

It actually plays quite a bit different than CCGs like pokemon / magic / etc. In a way, it is more akin to something like Warhammer Quest. That is everyone has a character with distinct powers / abilities, and everyone is working as a team to defeat the villain and their minions. There is a lot of tactical depth in the game both in each individual hero's deck, as well as with synergies between different hero decks.

• So, not including the Vengeance expansion that I just got, I have 19 different heroes, 18 villains, and 12 environments, which should give an idea of the variety. 
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 0Vote Up0Vote Down
    So today was my first lazy day in a long, long time - so I've been chillin'. I was just reading up on the official site, thought the last sentence was hilarious:

"Note: there is no limit to the number of cards a player may have in hand or in play. If a deck ever runs out of cards, simply shuffle that deck's Trash, make it the new deck, and continue playing. You won't lose the game for a fiddly reason, like running out of cards or not having enough resources. You'll lose the game because a mad scientist pulled the moon into the earth, or a giant rampaging robot crushed you and your teammates!"

Post edited by TheLion at 2014-07-27 20:09:52
  • BakaKuma, have you ever used the iPad app? Was wondering if it made tracking things a little easier.
  • Awesome; yea, there a lot of little touches like that in the game :)

I do have the app on my iPhone; I haven't had a chance to use it though because the peeps in my gaming group actually like to use the physical counters and tokens. I think if playing a solo game with multiple heroes, the app would be the most useful.
  • Okay, so I just ordered The Sentinels Core game along with the box set of the Rook City and Infernal Relics expansions after reading up on the game and watching some video reviews on youtube.  I have to say, I'm pretty excited. As someone who has never really been a card gamer (with the exception of Pokemon, Rage and my dream of an  all-"Swords To Plowshares" deck for Magic: The Gathering), I'm pretty excited.

Thanks for introducing this to me, Baka!
  • Awesome! I think you will enjoy it. I'd definitely recommend starting with some complexity 1 or 2 heroes against a complexity 1 villain for the first game or two. The higher complexity heroes aren't necessarily hard, but takes a play or two to figure out how they work best. I'll be curious to see what you think when you play some!
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 0Vote Up0Vote Down
    Looking forward to trying it out! I guess since you waffled so much last time, you can pick next time. ;)

I also would like to point out that sentinels is ranked in the top 100 on BGG, which given the amount of games in their database is an extremely good ranking!
    Post edited by airdog at 2014-09-03 02:23:56
  • Now all I can think about is waffles. :)

It should arrive today, so we shall see.
  • Here we come a-Waffling:

• "There you go letting history take a back seat to your stomach." Nice.