Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Fitbit (healthy?)

I don't think anyone in the group has one, but I'm curious as to your thoughts.  I know a lot of people that have them and swear by them, and I absolutely love the features.  My question is, for the more scientifically inclined peeps in the group: Do you think wearing something that gives off even a low-bandwidth signal (radio based wireless and low energy Bluetooth )most if not all of the day is safe?  I want to think it is and can't find anything beyond random blogs that state it isn't safe. However, I have this nagging feeling that it isn't.  While I realize it's nowhere near cellphone (or the dual monitors I use at work and at home for a good portion of the day) levels of energy being given off at a time, it just doesn't feel right.  I was curious if anyone had any thoughts or insights?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • TheLion said:

can't find anything beyond random blogs that state it isn't safe.

This is a good indication for the answer: yes, it is safe. Peer reviewed studies consistently show that radiation from wifi, cellphones, etc., is safe. (As an aside, their are people that claim sensitivity to electromagnetic radiation (from cells, wifi access points, power lines. Studies have consistently shown that they are not and their is no such thing as electromagnetic sensitivity. It is all in their heads.)

• Hmmm.  Interesting. Thanks for the info, Baka!
  • Yeah, you probably absorb more radiation from the sun and the earth itself than from a FitBit type device. And for every bit of science you'll find to reinforce that, you'll find kooky blogs that swear they get wrist cancer from FitBits or wrist watches or whatnot.

I wouldn't sweat it. I'm curious, though, how you like the FitBit works. What kind of data does it give you, and do you find it to be accurate?
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 590Vote Up0Vote Down
    So, I took the plunge earlier this week and ordered the fitibit Charge via Amazon.  I've had it since last Tuesday and have to say I'm a fan.  I'm still tweaking the sensitivity, but overall it's fairly accurate...except when I shave which gives me some crazy steps (shaving my head via an electric razor is fairly intense, I guess :) ).  At any rate, the charge (which is the latest, released product - they have two more launching in early 2015), counts your steps. flights of stairs, calories, and miles (all of which can be checked on the wristband - along with the time and date).  You can track more via the app and the website.  I've found the flights of stairs counter to be finicky...but, in all reality, that's not necessarily the end of the world.  I don't wear it to sleep, but it can also track your sleep - how often you move, sleep interruption, etc. I'll probably play around with it as time goes on, but haven't as of yet.  I'll post below with a screen shot of you can see via the website.

Overall, it's fun.  I think it works to help push you to do more, which is the goal.  Heck, anything that helps to gamify exercise exercise is a good thing - you win badges, can compete with other people that have fitbit, etc - so, much like the "Run Zombies Run!" app it helps make exercise a little more enjoyable.  

The only thing that's challenging to me about it, really, is that because my wrists are on the small side, it was difficult to determine which size to buy. I got the large just to be safe, but it's not clear if the smaller size would fit me much better.  Minor gripe, but it's okay.
    Post edited by TheLion at 2014-11-22 14:36:43
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 590Vote Up0Vote Down

Here's a pic of the
    dashboard.  I'm not sure how to get it to appear within the message, so
    you'll have to open it via a new tab (it's shared via dropbox). Each of the
    tiles can be opened to show stats and compare days, etc.

Post edited by TheLion at 2014-11-22 18:38:38